TERMS & CONDITIONS
Article 1 (Application of These Terms and Conditions)
- The accommodation contracts and related contracts to be executed by MACHIYA RESIDENCE INN (collectively, “MACHIYA RESIDENCE INN”, “the hotel”, “we”, “our” or “us”) shall be subject to these Terms and Conditions, and any matters not stipulated herein shall be governed by laws and ordinances and/or generally accepted practices.
- Notwithstanding the above, the Hotel may enter into any special contracts with any guests within the scope not violating these Terms and Conditions, laws and ordinances, and generally accepted practices.
Article 2 (Refusal of Providing Accommodation)
The Hotel may refuse to provide accommodation as follows:
- The application for accommodation does not conform to the provisions of these Terms and Conditions.
- Minors who intend to stay at the Hotel without explicit parental consent submitted in writing.
- The Hotel is fully booked and there is no vacancy.
- A person seeking accommodation is deemed likely to act against the laws and ordinances, public orders, or good morals in respect to his/her accommodation.
- A person seeking accommodation can be clearly identified as carrying an infectious disease.
- When it is recognized that the guest falls under any of the following (a) through (c):
- When the guest is a member of a crime syndicate, a quasi-constituent of a crime syndicate, or a person related to a crime syndicate, or any other antisocial force.
- (b) When the guest is a juridical person or other organization whose business activities are controlled by a crime syndicate, or a person involved with a crime syndicate.
- (c) A juridical person whose officers fall under the category of a crime syndicate.
- When a violent act of demand is committed or a demand exceeding a reasonable limit is demanded in connection with the accommodation.
- The Hotel is unable to provide accommodation because of a natural disaster, malfunction of its facilities, or other unavoidable causes.
- A person seeking accommodation is intoxicated and deemed likely to cause disturbance to other guests, or behaves in such a manner as to be a disturbance to other guests.
- A person seeking accommodation brings dangerous materials (including stoves, firearms, etc.) or materials harmful to the public.
- The provisions of Article 7 of the Kyoto Hotel Business Act Enforcement Ordinance are applied.
- When the guest is a person who has refused to conclude an accommodation contract or has had an accommodation contract canceled in the past.
Article 3 (Application for an Accommodation Contract)
- A person applying for the accommodation contract with the Hotel will be required to provide the Hotel with the following information:
- Address, name, telephone number, sex, nationality, and occupation of all guests
- Accommodation dates, estimated arrival time, company name, telephone number and name of the applicant
- Accommodation Fee
- Other information deemed necessary by the Hotel
- If a guest requests to extend their stay beyond the dates in Item (2) of the preceding paragraph, such request shall be regarded as an application for a new accommodation contract only when the Hotel has no other reservation during such dates.
Article 4 (Conclusion of Accommodation Contract)
- The accommodation contract shall be concluded when the Hotel accepts the application as stipulated in Article 3 and confirms payment of the application fee (equivalent to the accommodation fee) by the designated date (within 7 days including bank holidays after the Hotel’s acceptance of the application for the accommodation contract). Bank transfer charges shall be the responsibility of the guest. When applying for accommodation contracts and options (available to add during a stay), please check each individual web page for details. If the Hotel does not accept the application for the accommodation contract, the accommodation contract will not be concluded.
- The deposit shall first be allocated to the accommodation fee, ultimately required to be paid by the guest, and if a situation arises where the provisions of Article 5 apply, the deposit shall be allocated in the order of cancellation fee followed by compensation, and any remaining amount shall be returned by a date to be individually notified.
- In the event that the reservation fee stipulated in Paragraph 1 is not paid by the date designated by the Hotel, in accordance with the provisions of the same paragraph, the accommodation application by the guest and the Hotel’s acceptance thereof shall lose its validity.
- Regarding Advance Payment
- Timing of the payment
The transaction will be completed at the same time as the payment. ※Please note that payment must be completed in order to confirm an accommodation reservation.
- When the content of the accommodation contract is changed
A new settlement will be processed for the total amount after the change. At the same time, the amount before the change will be canceled. For example, if the accommodation contract (reservation) is for 10,000 yen and the total amount becomes 12,000 yen due to the addition of an option, the 12,000 yen will be settled at the same time as the accommodation contract (reservation) is changed, and the 10,000 yen will be refunded at the same time.
Depending on the timing of your payment, there is a possibility that the charged amount may appear on your credit card statement twice. However, the amount prior to the change will be refunded in full. As the timing of the refund will depend on your credit card company (issuer), please check with your credit card company for the exact refund date.
Article 5 (Special Contracts Requiring No Deposit)
- Notwithstanding the provisions of the preceding article, the Hotel may accept a special contract requiring no deposit stipulated in the said article after conclusion of the accommodation contract.
- In a case that the Hotel fails to request payment of the deposit in the preceding article or fails to specify the due date of payment for the deposit at the time it accepts the application for an accommodation contract, the special contract in the preceding paragraph shall be deemed to have been accepted.
Article 6 (Cancellation of Contract)
After the accommodation contract is concluded as stipulated in Article 4, if the guest cancels the said accommodation contract in whole or in part, the guest shall be required to pay the cancellation charges as follows:
- 100% of the total accommodation charge shall be paid if guest does not arrive or the reservation is canceled on the day scheduled to stay;
100% if canceled between 1 day to 2 days prior to a stay; 50% if canceled between 3 days to 14 days prior to a stay;
30% if canceled between 15 days to 21 days prior to a stay; 0% if canceled 22 days or more prior to a stay.
* The terms & conditions for our "Cancellation of Contract" has been updated. The above criteria will apply to all reservations made after January 20, 2021.
- If the guest does not arrive & check-in by 9:00 p.m. of the day scheduled to stay without advance notice, or if no notice is given even after two hours have passed from the scheduled time of arrival (up to 9:00 p.m.), the accommodation contract shall be deemed as being canceled by the guest and shall be handled accordingly by the Hotel.
- In the event that a request is made to shorten the length of stay, a cancellation fee will be charged even if the Hotel accepts the request.
- Check-in on Feb. 1
- Checkout on Feb. 6
(A six-day (6) and five-night (5) stay)
- 2 Guests for 5 nights: Total 150,000 yen
(when the accommodation charges of 30,000 yen/per night throughout the reservation)
[The request to shorten the number of nights is made] = Feb. 1
The reservation is changed to 4 days and 3 nights
(New Reservation: Feb. 1 to Feb. 4).
[The first night of stay] = Feb. 1
[The number of days shortened] = 2 nights
(Stays for Feb. 4th & Feb. 5th have been canceled)
○ Calculation of Cancellation Charges
- The accommodation charges based on [the number of days shortened]
(For a cancelation of 2 nights) 2 nights x 30,000 yen = 60,000 yen
○ The rate for cancellation charge (see Table 1 below)
[3 days ~ 14 days before] is applied
60,000 yen x 50% = 30,000 yen (cancellation charge)
- In the event the accommodation contract is deemed as being canceled by the guest in accordance with Paragraph 2, the cancellation charges as set forth in Paragraph 1 shall not be applied when the guest can prove that the failure to appear without advance notice is due to the delay or non-arrival of public transportation, including trains and aircraft, or any other reasons not attributable to the guest.
■ Cancellation Charges for Stays between 1 Day ~ 6 Days (Table 1)
|No appearance/cancellation on the day
|1 day to 2 days before
|3 days to 14 days before
|15 days to 21 days before
|22 days or more before
■ Cancellation Charges for Stays 7 Days or More (Table 2)
Remarks: The percentage figures are the rates of cancellation charges to the total accommodation charge.
*Please note that in the event of a refund, you will be refunded the accommodation fee minus any transfer fee and service charge.
Article 7 (Right to Cancel Contract)
The Hotel may cancel any accommodation contract, unless otherwise stipulated, under any of the following circumstances. In such cases, the accommodation contract to which the guest has not yet been provided shall be handled in the same manner as in the case of Article 6:
- If any one of the provisions of Items 2 to 10 of Article 2 is applied
- If the guest fails to provide the information in Paragraph 1 of Article 3
- If the guest fails to pay the deposit requested under Article 4 by the date designated
- When the guest does not follow the terms and conditions of use set forth in Article 11.
- If the guest does not observe the rules prohibiting smoking in the Hotel or has tampered with the Hotel’s fire-fighting facilities, etc.
Article 8 (Registration for Accommodation)
All guests shall register the following information with the Hotel on the day of overnight stay:
- Information in Item 1 of Article 3
- If an international guests: passport number, the place, and date of entry to Japan
- Scheduled date and time of departure
- Other information deemed necessary by the Hotel
- Other items deemed necessary by the Hotel
Article 9 (Check-in and Check-out Time)
- The time guests may enter the Hotel (check-in time) shall be from 3:00 p.m., and the time guests shall leave the Hotel (check-in time) shall be until 10:00 a.m.
- The Hotel may not be used in hours other than those specified in the above Item 1, unless otherwise approved by the Hotel.
- In the case of a consecutive stay (two or more nights in a row), the room may be used all day (except for the day of arrival and the day of departure), however, please note that a member of our cleaning staff may enter the room. If you do not wish to have your room cleaned, please inform the front desk in advance.
Article 10 (Payment of Charges)
- The payment of the charges for the use at the Hotel, excluding the application fee, shall be made at the front desk at the time of departure of the guest or when requested by the Hotel, in cash or by a method that can be substituted for cash, such as credit card payment. In the event that the payment of charges is to be made by credit card or other alternative method to cash, it shall be made only in the case that the guest has notified the Hotel in advance as stipulated in Article 8.
- The provisions of Paragraph 3 of Article 6 shall apply mutatis mutandis to the case where a guest voluntarily shortens their period of stay after they have started the use of the guest room.
Article 11 (Rules of Use)
Guests shall comply with the Rules of Use established by the Hotel while staying in the Hotel.
Article 12 (Liability for Accommodation)
- The Hotel shall not be liable for any damage caused to the Guest unless there is a reason attributable to the Hotel. If a guest suffers damage due to the negligence of the Hotel, the Hotel will compensate for the damage up to the amount of the room charge. However, this shall not apply in the case of willful misconduct or gross negligence on the part of the Hotel.
- In the event that the Hotel is unable to provide a room to a guest, except in the case of natural disasters or other reasons that make it difficult to do so, or when it is the fault of the Hotel, with the consent of the Guest, the Hotel will find another accommodation with similar rates for that guest. In such cases, no room charge will be made for the day on which the Hotel is unable to continue providing rooms.
Article 13 (Handling of Deposited Items, Luggage, etc.)
- Guests may leave items, cash, and valuables (hereinafter referred to as "items, etc.") at the front desk if the Hotel agrees. (Please refer to the FAQ on the official website for details on how to use this service.)
- In this case, in the event of loss, damage, or other loss of or damage to the items, the Hotel will compensate for the damage up to 50,000 yen, unless the damage was caused by force majeure, or if the declaration of the contents of items, etc. are deemed to be untrue. However, this shall not apply in the case of willful misconduct or gross negligence on the part of the Hotel.
Article 14 (Storage of baggage or personal effects)
- In the event that a guest's baggage or personal belongings (including items in a safe) are left behind in the Hotel after the guest has checked out, and the owner of the baggage or personal belongings (including items in a safe) is known, the Hotel shall contact the owner and request instructions on how to return the items. However, if the owner does not respond to the Hotel with instructions, or if the owner is not known, the belongings will be kept for up to 7 days including the day of discovery.
- After the specified period in Paragraph 1 has passed, the Hotel shall pass on the belonging to the nearest Police Station or dispose of the belonging.
Article 15 (Car Parking)
There is no private car parking space for guests at the Hotel.
Article 16 (Responsibilities of Guest)
If the Hotel suffers any damage due to an intentional act or the negligence of a guest, the guest shall be liable to the Hotel for the said damage.
Article 17 (Jurisdiction and Governing Law)
Any and all disputes arising out of or in relation to these Terms and Conditions shall be settled by the Kyoto District Court or Summary Court having jurisdiction over the location of the Hotel, in accordance with the Japanese laws and ordinances.
Additional Notes (Calculation method of accommodation charges)
- The accommodation charges to be paid by a guest are for the lodging charge + charges for breakfast meals, optional activities, etc.
- Additional charges to be paid by a guest (charges for breakfast food and beverages not included in the preceding paragraph) are not included in the accommodation charge.
- The Hotel does not offer a special rate for children.
- Do not use products that may cause a fire within the Hotel.
- No smoking is allowed within the Hotel.
- The Hotel is a wooden construction within a residential district; therefore, do not cause disturbance to the neighbors by speaking loudly or making noises or behave in a way that may cause unpleasant feelings.
- Do not bring the following items into the Hotel.
- Animals or birds
- Articles with extremely offensive odors
- Unusually large quantity of goods or items
- Explosive or flammable items such as gunpowder or gasoline
- Unregistered firearms or swords
- Illegal drugs such as cannabis, narcotic drugs, or stimulant drugs
- Do not gamble or act in ways injurious to public morals within the Hotel.
- Do not allow unauthorized visitors into the Hotel.
- Do not remove or take facilities or fixtures within the Hotel from where they are or use them for purposes other than intended.
- Do not attach any extraneous materials on equipment or fixtures within the Hotel or remove them from where they are.
- No intoxicated person is allowed to use the bath.